“I’ll throw you guys a romantic dinner when you inevitably make up.”
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, washed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 750-ml bottle of chardonnay
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. pearl barley (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp. herbes de Provence
- 12 oz. baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, covered. Stir frequently and reduce heat if the onions are browning too quickly. Add carrots and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add wine and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in barley and herbs and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is almost tender, about 1 hour.
Add spinach, cover, and continue to simmer until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper before serving.
Makes about 10 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving: 260 calories, 8.3 g. fat, 2.5 g. saturated fat, 1 g. poly. fat, 3.3 g. mono. fat, 53.3 mg. cholesterol, 741.8 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade chicken stock instead of storebought), 513.2 mg. potassium, 25.2 g. carbohydrates, 5.4 g. fiber, 21.8 g. protein, vitamin A 57%, vitamin C 17%, calcium 8%, iron 14%