“I was thinking of buying some oglop oil, but it’s so disgusting.”
—a red mage in Lindblum, FFIX
This is a quick meal if you use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the market. Save the leftover bones for stock.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oglop oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced (about 2½ cups)
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 8-12 garlic cloves (1 bulb), peeled and halved
- 4 serrano chile peppers, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, minced
- 1 14-oz. can of diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can of black beans, undrained
- 1 15-oz. can of corn kernels, undrained
- 8 oz. cooked, chopped chicken
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- ¾ oz. cilantro, washed and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, covered. Stir frequently and reduce heat if the onions are browning too quickly.
Add carrots and continue to cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and chile peppers. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and spices and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour in chicken broth, beans, and corn. Stir in chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, cilantro, and lime juice.
Makes about 10 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving: 170 calories, 4.2 g. fat, 0.6 g. saturated fat, 0.5 g. poly. fat, 2.3 g. mono. fat, 18.9 mg. cholesterol, 439.6 mg. sodium, 283.7 mg. potassium, 19.5 g. carbohydrates, 4.1 g. fiber, 13.3 g. protein, vitamin A 37%, vitamin C 23%, calcium 8%, iron 12%