“Tastes like a chocobo turd.”Libertus Ostium, Kingsglaive
You’ll need wooden skewers for this recipe. Make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- 2 cups mirin
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup dry sake
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- 16 large scallions, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1½” cubes
Mix mirin, soy sauce, sake, sugar, pepper, garlic, ginger, green parts of the scallions, and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 1½ hours.
Thread white parts of the scallions, cherry tomatoes, and chicken tightly onto skewers. Grill over medium-high direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side until well browned on all sides, brushing with sauce every 30 seconds until a glaze forms. Transfer skewers to platter, drizzle with remaining sauce, and serve immediately, preferably with a cold beer.