“You can never have too many spices.”Ignis Scientia, FFXV
You’ll need wooden skewers for this recipe. Make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon cardamom seeds
- ½ tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28-ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- 7 ounces plain Greek yogurt, such as Fage
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large or 2 small lemons)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1½” cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooked basmati rice
Combine the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, fennel seed, mustard seed, and cloves in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Grind the toasted spices in a clean coffee or spice mill and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in paprika, turmeric, nutmeg, and cayenne.
Pour the tomatoes and their juices into a food processor or blender and add garlic, ginger, and the bowl of spices. Blend until smooth.
In the bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and ¼ cup of the tomato mixture. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade and seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 4 to 8 hours. Transfer the tomato mixture to a storage container and refrigerate.
Thread chicken tightly onto skewers. Heat the tomato mixture in a saucepan over medium heat. When it’s bubbling, stir in cream and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
Grill over medium-high direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side until well browned on all sides. Transfer skewers to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
In the center of each plate, place a large serving of sauce. Arrange skewers on top and garnish to taste with sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve with basmati rice.