- 4 medium Lucian tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 2 cups chickatrice stock
- 1 cup dry Veldorian white wine
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh fish, skin removed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 8 ounces Galahd chorizo, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 1 pound Caem pinkshrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 medium bulbous wild onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces Saxham or Arborio rice
- 2 dozen Cleigne mollusks, scrubbed, beards pulled off
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Coarsely grate tomatoes into a bowl and discard the skins. Toast saffron in a saucepan over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth and wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, and cover.
Prepare grill for medium direct heat. Place a medium enameled paella pan on the grill and add 4 tablespoons olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and add to the pan along with the chorizo. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, then immediately transfer fish, chorizo, and shrimp to a plate and set aside.
Add onion and peppers and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and paste turns a shade darker, about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and paprika. Sauté for a few minutes, until garlic is golden. Add rice. Mix well and pat flat.
Pour hot saffron liquid evenly over rice. Simmer for 10–12 minutes without stirring, rotating pan if needed to cook evenly. Nestle in mollusks around the rim of the pan, hinge-side down. Arrange fish, chorizo, and shrimp on top. Continue to cook without stirring until mollusks have opened, shrimp is opaque on all sides, and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes.
Remove paella from heat and cover loosely with foil. Let stand for about 5 minutes. Uncover and scatter with parsley or cilantro. Makes 4 servings.