“I’m Wakka, coach and captain of the Besaid Aurochs, brudda. What? You hungry? Okay! Back to the village. I’ll get you somethin’!”
This recipe uses two sausages from a 1-lb. package. To use the remaining three sausages, see Cid’s Spicy Chili.
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice, uncooked (about 12½ oz.)
- 6 oz. bacon (about 4 slices)
- 2 sweet Italian pork sausages, uncooked, casing removed and cut into 1″ pieces (about 7 oz. total)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved, or grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- 3 green onions, washed, root ends removed, white parts finely chopped and green parts sliced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Cholula or Tapatio
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup diced pineapple (about 5 ounces)
- ¾ oz. cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- Eggs (optional)
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large, deep skillet or wok. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 35-40 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove lid and transfer rice to a large bowl.
Fry the bacon in the skillet until crispy, 10-15 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper towels. Add sausage to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, ginger, and white parts of the green onion. Cook for about 1 minute, then add rice and combine well. Continue to stir-fry the rice until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, whisk together the hoisin sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Pour over the rice, mix until combine, and cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Crumble the bacon over the rice. Add pineapple, cilantro, and green parts of the onion. Combine and remove from heat. Divide into 8 bowls. If desired, serve with a fried egg on top of each bowl.
Per serving (does not include eggs): 301 calories, 11.4 g. fat, 3.5 g. saturated fat, 0.1 g. poly. fat, 582.4 mg. sodium, 45.3 mg. potassium, 39.8 g. carbohydrates, 2.4 g. fiber, 9.5 g. protein, vitamin C 9%, calcium 1%, iron 8%