“Delicious morsel… Let me get my bib!”
- 1 16-oz. bag of frozen mixed seafood (shrimp, scallops, and calamari rings)
- 8 oz. dried rice stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic (about 8-12 cloves), peeled and halved
- 2-4 Thai red chiles, thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 14-oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 14-oz. can of light coconut milk
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, halved
- 1 cup chopped Thai basil
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
Remove the seafood from the freezer to thaw. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Stir in noodles and remove from heat. Let stand until noodles soften, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, and chiles, and sauté until soft, 3 to 5 minutes, lowering heat as needed to prevent browning too quickly.
Pour in broth, tomatoes, coconut milk, vinegar, and fish sauce. Stir in ginger. Bring to a boil and drop in the stalks of lemongrass. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove lemongrass stalks. Add seafood and cook for about 5 minutes, until shrimp are pink and heated through. Stir in basil, cilantro, and lime juice. Remove from heat.
Divide the noodles into 6 bowls and top with the seafood soup.
Per serving: 286 calories, 5.3 g. fat, 0.4 g. saturated fat, 2.1 g. poly. fat, 1.9 g. mono. fat, 87.1 mg. cholesterol, 1255.7 mg. sodium, 35.8 mg. potassium, 42.8 g. carbohydrates, 1.8 g. fiber, 16.1 g. protein, vitamin A 9%, vitamin C 34%, calcium 6%, iron 10%