“Ah, my coffee smells delicious!”
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-12 garlic cloves (1 bulb), peeled and halved
- 2 jalapeno chile peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups brewed coffee (1 grande coffee from Starbucks)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 oz. cooked, chopped chicken
- ¾ oz. cilantro, washed and chopped
- Juice of 1 orange
Heat butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, salt, cumin, and coriander, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the garlic is turning golden.
Stir in beans, coffee, broth, and molasses, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add the cinnamon stick, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in chicken, cilantro, and orange juice.
Makes about 8 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving: 336 calories, 8.4 g. fat, 2.8 g. saturated fat, 0.8 g. poly. fat, 3.8 g. mono. fat, 43.3 mg. cholesterol, 2130.2 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade chicken stock instead of storebought), 247.4 mg. potassium, 40.4 g. carbohydrates, 7.1 g. fiber, 26.1 g. protein, vitamin A 4%, vitamin C 9%, calcium 18%, iron 23%