“You have grown very thin, Basch.”
—Judge Gabranth, born Noah fon Ronsenburg, FFXII
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light-green parts only, chopped and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- 10 oz. sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 hot Italian sausages, uncooked, casing removed and cut into 1″ pieces (about 7 oz. total)
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. uncooked Arborio rice
- 22 oz. bottle of hard cider, such as Julian Hard Cider
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz. kale
- 12 oz. peeled, chopped butternut squash
Heat butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, mushrooms, and sausage. Cook for 10 minutes until sausage is browned on all sides.
Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Pour in rice, and stir well to combine. Add cider and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in kale and squash and simmer, uncovered, about 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and lowering the heat as necessary, until squash is tender.
Makes about 18 flat 1-cup servings. Per serving: 230 calories, 6.7 g. fat, 2.1 g. saturated fat, 0.5 g. poly. fat, 1.8 g. mono. fat, 32.1 mg. cholesterol, 588.2 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade chicken stock instead of storebought), 291.2 mg. potassium, 29.3 g. carbohydrates, 1 g. fiber, 13.1 g. protein, vitamin A 35%, vitamin C 33%, calcium 6%, iron 8%