“So like… let’s just bust it up.”
–Irvine Kinneas, FFVIII
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can refried beans
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz. tortilla chips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce (Cholula or Tapatio are recommended)
- 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add refried beans and broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until combined and heated through.
Spray an 8″ x 11″ casserole dish with nonstick spray and layer the tortilla chips inside. Top with refried beans. Sprinkle with jalapeno and tomato.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and pour over the chips and beans. Sprinkle with hot pepper sauce and add cheese in an even layer on top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with your favorite salsa and other condiments. Makes 6 servings, enough for everyone!
Per serving: 412 calories, 23.2 g. fat, 9 g. saturated fat, 0.6 g. poly. fat, 2.3 g. mono. fat, 178 mg. cholesterol, 710.1 mg. sodium, 77.4 mg. potassium, 32.9 g. carbohydrates, 6.5 g. fiber, 17.9 g. protein, vitamin A 16%, vitamin C 4%, calcium 26%, iron 12%